Knowledge about the types of sword steel
Pattern steel: steel with patterns used to make precious swords, also known as "flower iron" and "wentie" in ancient China. According to different classification methods, it can be divided into many categories. For example, according to the process principle, it can be divided into crystalline pattern steel and cast pattern steel. The pattern of pattern steel is like flowing water, like colorful clouds, or like chrysanthemums, or like wood grain.
Europeans said "Damascus steel", Russians said "Blat steel", and the iron that was introduced to China from Persia and Kashmir all belong to pattern steel. The record of pattern steel in ancient China began in the Eastern Han Dynasty, and can be seen in the Tang, Song, Ming and Qing Dynasties. The "Baipi tattoo" sword described in Fu Xuan's "Poems of the Capital" in the Western Jin Dynasty, the fish sausage sword and the Songwen sword described in Song Shenkuo's "Mengxi Bi Tan" are all made of patterned steel.
Classification of pattern steel: According to the process principle, pattern steel is roughly divided into the following common categories:
(1) Crystalline pattern steel: natural pattern steel, wootz steel, meteorite iron (black gold), top grade rough surface pattern steel, top grade curb iron.
(2) Casting pattern steel: it is made of pig iron and "wrought iron", 100 steel and cast steel/steel iron.
(3) Spin-welded pattern steel: spin-welded inlaid steel and spin-welded purlin steel.
(4) The pattern produced by multi-channel steel clamping and inlay steel forging: wolf biting the blade.
(6) Folded steel: It is made by repeatedly folding and forging two or more steel and'iron' materials with large differences in carbon content.
(7) Filing steel: it is obtained by filing and forging the surface material alternately at the blade part of the blade where the steel has been clamped. If controlled properly, this type of sword has a better pattern, is sharper, and has a certain degree of flexibility.
(8) Fusion pattern steel: The material is a variety of steel with different carbon content, and the pattern can be produced by industrial fusion, welding and other processes.
(9) Pickled pattern steel: it is made of uneven surface carburization. According to the smoothness on the surface: it can be divided into flat grain and rough grain;
High manganese steel is a typical wear-resistant steel, which is mainly used for harsh working conditions such as impact, extrusion, and material wear. The most important feature of high manganese steel is that under strong impact and extrusion conditions, the surface layer rapidly undergoes work hardening, so that the hardened layer has good wear resistance while still maintaining good austenite toughness and plasticity in the core. This is beyond the reach of other materials. However, the wear resistance of high manganese steel only shows its superiority when it has sufficient conditions to form work hardening, and it is very poor in other cases.
High carbon steel is often called tool steel
Advantages: 1. High hardness (HRC60-65) and good wear resistance can be obtained after heat treatment.
2. Moderate hardness in annealed state, with good machinability.
3. The raw materials are easily available and the production cost is low.
1. Poor thermal hardness. When the working temperature of the tool is greater than 200°C, its hardness and wear resistance drop sharply.
2. Low hardenability. The diameter of fully quenched during water quenching is generally only 15-18mm; the maximum diameter or thickness (95% martensite) of fully quenched during oil quenching is only about 6mm, and it is easy to deform and crack. The most commonly used by sword dealers is 60MN and T10 Jun is one of them. The performance of sword steel varies according to different requirements, and each has its advantages and disadvantages. The key is to choose according to personal needs. The best is the one that meets your requirements.